32 things we learned from Week 7 of 2022 NFL season: What’s wrong with Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and NFC?
Written by B87FM on October 23, 2022
The 32 issues we realized from Week 7 of the 2022 NFL season:
1. Within the midst of a weekend when the undefeated Philadelphia Eagles and one-loss Minnesota Vikings have been on trip, it certain was troublesome to seek out a lot to love concerning the NFC. Widely projected as the weaker of the league’s two conferences coming into the season, the gulf is extra pronounced by the profound and surprising struggles of Aaron Rodgers’ Inexperienced Bay Packers and Tom Brady’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers – each highway favorites – dropping to 3-Four on Sunday.
2. This marks the primary time since 2002 when Brady was under .500 after seven weeks – his solely full season because the New England Patriots’ starter after they did not attain the playoffs.
2a. Tampa Bay has one landing in its final 9 quarters after getting overwhelmed 21-3 by the rebooting Carolina Panthers.
3. This additionally marks the primary time Rodgers, Inexperienced Bay’s starter since 2008, has had a dropping file by way of seven weeks.
Comply with each recreation: Live NFL Scores
3a. Following a span of 370 video games, going again to 1999, the Packers did not convert a single third down whereas falling 23-21 to the Washington Commanders.
4th & MONDAY:Our NFL newsletter always brings the blitz
4. Rodgers and Brady have mixed for seven league MVP awards, together with three of the previous 5.
5. You’ll’ve hoped Rodgers, who attended Cal – the Golden Bears beat Stanford on “The Play” in 1982 – would have carried out higher in a game-ending lateral state of affairs than he did … after all, Washingtonians hadn’t stormed the sector taking part in “Hail to the Commanders.”
6. Final season’s closing 4 groups within the NFC playoff bracket – the Pack, Bucs, San Francisco 49ers and Los Angeles Rams – are a mixed 12-15, none with a successful file.
7. Eleven of the NFC’s 16 groups – including the entire South division – are at present .500 or worse. The primary-place Seattle Seahawks (4-3) and Vikes are the one squads within the convention with successful data outdoors the NFC East.
9. Ok.C. additionally hung 529 yards – 9.1 per play – on a San Francisco protection that entered Week 7 ranked No. 1 total.
10. And, on a day when he was opposed by 49ers All-Professional “extensive again” Deebo Samuel, who would have guessed the Chiefs’ Mecole Hardman would turn into the primary extensive receiver within the Tremendous Bowl period (since 1966) with a number of speeding TDs and a TD catch in the identical recreation?
11. Newly acquired RB Christian McCaffrey, who’s anticipated to make San Francisco maybe the NFC’s main Tremendous Bowl risk, had 62 yards from scrimmage in his 49ers debut however performed sparingly within the second half after the crew fell behind.
12. The massively hyped AFC West hasn’t been fairly as disappointing because the NFC total. However a division anticipated to offer a number of playoff entries is a collective 13-14.
13. The 1972 Miami Dolphins, the one crew to go undefeated throughout the Tremendous Bowl period, celebrated their 50th anniversary this weekend. Too dangerous the Eagles have been idle and could not present these growing older Fins with a motive to pop extra champagne.
14. Because of a touchdown-saving tackle on their closing play towards the Jacksonville Jaguars, the New York Giants are 6-1 for the primary time since 2008 – the final time they earned a No. 1 playoff seed.
14a. And let’s not seek advice from Giants QB Daniel Jones because the NFC’s model of Lamar Jackson simply but, however he did submit his first 100-yard speeding recreation within the NFL in Sunday’s 23-17 squeaker over the Jags.
15. All seven of the Giants’ video games in 2022 have ended with a one-score margin.
15a. All 5 of Jaguars’ losses have been by a one-score margin.
16. Jackson rushed for a pedestrian – by his requirements – 59 yards in Sunday’s 23-20 escape from the Cleveland Browns. He and Cam Newton are the solely quarterbacks in league historical past to achieve at the least 500 yards on the bottom in every of their first 5 seasons.
17. New York’s different crew, the Jets, improved to 5-2 (and 4-Zero on the highway) by outlasting the Russell Wilson-less Broncos in Denver. The J-E-T-S additionally personal their first four-game win streak in almost seven years.
18. Jets WR Elijah Moore, who did not make the journey to Denver after grousing about his utilization and requesting a commerce final week, garnered precisely as many targets from his sofa (zero) as he did throughout the Week 6 win at Inexperienced Bay.
19. Broncos backup QB Brett Rypien’s profession file evened at 1-1 following the loss. Each of his NFL begins have come towards the Jets.
20. And whereas New York’s groups at the moment are a mixed 11-3, each misplaced prized rookies to knee accidents Sunday. Giants RT Evan Neal and Jets RB Breece Corridor have been each pressured from the sector. Jets coach Robert Saleh fears Corridor has an ACL harm, which might be a devastating blow to a run-based offense.
21. Welcome again, Dak Prescott. The Dallas Cowboys’ franchise quarterback was environment friendly (19 of 25 for 207 yards and a TD) in his first motion since breaking his throwing thumb on opening night time.
21a. We’ll need to verify in with our buddy Michael Irvin to find out if Dallas was “absolutely asinine” to run 32 instances – similar to the successful components used with QB2 Cooper Rush in latest weeks – in a 24-6 win over the spiraling Detroit Lions. The Cowboys averaged 29 carries of their 5 video games with Rush beneath middle.
22. The 24 factors allowed by the Lions have been the fewest this season for the league’s most porous protection … not that it issues a lot when QB Jared Goff is popping the ball over 4 instances.
23. Cincinnati Bengals QB Joe Burrow hung 481 yards and three TDs by way of the air on the Atlanta Falcons in Sunday’s 35-17 victory. He is thrown for greater than 400 yards in three of his previous 5 regular-season video games at Paycor Stadium.
23a. Burrow’s 481-yard explosion is probably the most within the league this season.
23b. Cincinnati’s Ja’Marr Chase and Tyler Boyd turned the primary wideout tandem because the Patriots’ Randy Moss and Wes Welker in 2009 to each have at the least 100 receiving yards and a TD catch in a single half.
24. Cincinnati is the one crew that hasn’t allowed a second-half landing this season, and the third to handle that feat by way of seven weeks because the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.
25. The Falcons misplaced by a couple of rating for the primary time since final season.
26. Commanders TE Armani Rogers (Three catches, 28 yards) > Packers WR Amari Rodgers (2 catches, 14 yards, muffed punt that led to Washington FG).
27. Of their first recreation post-McCaffrey, the Panthers rushed for a season-high 173 yards of their defeat of the Bucs. The NFL is inexplicable.
28. Las Vegas Raiders RB Josh Jacobs, whose fifth-year contract possibility was declined throughout the offseason amid a regime change, is averaging 105.5 speeding yards per recreation after a 143-yard outburst Sunday that included three TDs. Oops.
29. The Arizona Cardinals’ 42-34 win over the New Orleans Saints on Thursday night time was their first at State Farm Stadium in almost a yr and snapped an eight-game dropping streak at dwelling.
29a. The Playing cards’ earlier win within the desert – the Nevada desert however – occurred Oct. 24, 2021, after they began final season 7-0.
30. Arizona has gained 9 of its final 11 video games with WR DeAndre Hopkins within the lineup. They’re 5-9 with out him because the begin of the 2021 season. Hopkins returned from a six-game suspension for performance-enhancing medicine on Thursday and responded with a game-best 10 catches for 103 yards.
30a. It was the primary time Hopkins surpassed the century mark since Dec. 20, 2020.
31. Regardless of failing to attain an offensive landing, the Tennessee Titans (4-2) beat the Indianapolis Colts (3-3-1), 19-10, increasing their lead in the AFC South.
31a. The Colts are 1-3-1 in divisional video games with one left to play.
32. Lastly, how applicable that on “Nationwide Tight Ends Day,” the Chiefs’ Travis Kelce and Niners’ George Kittle, the vacation’s patriarch, opposed each other … and each completed with six receptions for 98 yards. Kittle received a TD, Kelce received the win.
Contributing: Jarrett Bell
Comply with USA TODAY Sports activities’ Nate Davis on Twitter @ByNateDavis.