|Date:||March 21, 2018|
|Location:||VANDERNOOT GALLERY AT UNIVERSITY HALL|
|Address:||1815 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge|
#SAYHERNAME WATCH US WERK 3/31-4/2
#SayHerName Watch Us Werk
Presented by Lesley University at VanDernoot Gallery at University Hall
The College of Art and Design presents #SayHerName: Watch Us Werk in the VanDernoot gallery from March 20 to April 21. An artists’ reception will be held on March 29 from 6-8 p.m. in the gallery.
Curated by Dell M. Hamilton, this exhibition explores how art can act in creating a more just society.
Whether following in the footsteps of playwright Lorraine Hansberry, remixing the aesthetics of black girlhood, invoking the symbolic capacities of the color blue as signifier of the West African orisha, Yemaya, or using participatory installations to engage audiences, each of these artists are driven by one vision: a deep desire to use art in service of creating a more just society. Their rigorous practices interrogate how the construct of race informs their conceptions of selfhood, personal memory, gender, queerness, and global history. As such this exhibition places their work into conversation and context in an effort to rewrite and transcend the rules of how artistic production operates in the public realm.
- Angela Counts, playwright and multimedia artist (video)
- L’Merchie Frazier, mixed-media artist (2-D mixed media)
- Elisa Hamilton, multi-media artist (a grid of small drawings)
- Ekua Holmes, mixed media artist (sculpture)
- Tomashi Jackson, multi-media artist (video)
- Felicia Megginson, photographer (set of three Polaroids)
- U-Meleni Mhlaba-Adebo, poet and performer (performance only)
- Destiny Palmer, mixed-media artist (mixed-media sculpture)
- Chanel Thervil, mixed-media artist (mixed-media 2-D wood sculpture)
- Alexandria Smith, mixed-media (collage on wall)