NFL power rankings
Written by B87FM on September 22, 2020
SportsPulse: Week 2 was stuffed with incredible finishes, demoralizing accidents and drama. We put a bow on the week and reveal our newest energy rankings with our largest risers and fallers. USA TODAY
NFL energy rankings, 2020 post-Week 2 version (previous rank in parentheses):
1. Ravens (2): They’ve received 14 consecutive regular-season video games – their final 5 by a minimum of 16 factors – and this yr’s dominant 2-Zero begin comes with a median margin of victory of 24.5 factors. QB Lamar Jackson has 29 TD passes and one INT over his previous 10 regular-season appearances.
2. Chiefs (1): Purists might hate to see a defending champ dropped in an influence ballot once they have but to lose … even when they’re benefiting from a bailout of a listless efficiency courtesy of stellar Ok Harrison Butk(ick)er. However Kansas Metropolis can right any perceived slight by beating Baltimore on Monday evening.
3. Seahawks (6): Seems like they may simply wind up with league’s offensive (QB Russell Wilson) and defensive (S Jamal Adams) gamers of the yr … although it have to be famous a protection ranked lifeless final has a lot to repair.
4. Packers (5): 4 NFL groups have began a season with a minimum of 80 whole factors plus 1,000 yards of offense. This Inexperienced Bay squad is considered one of them.
5. Steelers (4): Regulate rookie WR Chase Claypool, whose 84-yard TD reception Sunday is 2020’s longest play up to now and the longest by a Canadian-born participant.
6. Saints (3): New Orleans nonetheless hasn’t loved a 2-Zero begin since 2013. Thanks for that nugget, new “Monday Night time Soccer” guys. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, fellas.
7. Cardinals (7): That is Arizona’s fifth 2-Zero begin since 2008, every of the earlier ones (except 2012) leading to journeys to the playoffs.
8. Titans (9): They’re in sole possession of first place in AFC South … but Tennessee can also be extraordinarily lucky it is not at the moment an 0-2 soccer group.
9. Patriots (10): Sunday snapped streak of 64 consecutive regular-season video games when New England had taken the sphere as the favourite. Hopefully you took Seattle and gave the factors … and but scary to assume what Cam’s Pats may but change into.
10. 49ers (8): Final yr’s NFC champs are instantly decimated – DE Nick Bosa’s knee injury most crippling – and certain may use some regular vets … like, say, DL DeForest Buckner and/or WR Emmanuel Sanders. Oops.
32 issues we discovered: From Week 2 of the 2020 NFL season
‘Watermelon kick’: Inside Cowboys’ clutch onside kick against Falcons
11. Payments (12): Third-year QB Josh Allen adopted the primary 300-yard passing sport of his profession with the primary 400-yard effort. Massive check upcoming vs. Jalen Ramsey and Rams, who’ve allowed one TD move to date.
12. Buccaneers (11): They are not firing on all cylinders but defensively, both, 2019 sack champion Shaquil Barrett nonetheless attempting to get on the board.
13. Rams (14): Since Sean McVay turned the coach in 2017, L.A. has received all 5 of its 1 p.m. ET kickoffs and scored a minimum of 30 factors each time. Rams will likely be in Buffalo on Sunday hoping to increase that streak to 6-0.
14. Raiders (21): QB Derek Carr is enjoying extremely environment friendly soccer, sledgehammer RB Josh Jacobs additionally contributing closely to Vegas’ common time of possession of 34 minutes. Seems betting on (Silver and) Black is a great proposition.
15. Chargers (18): As a part of his sudden however spectacular debut Sunday, rookie Justin Herbert turned first Bolts QB to attain a speeding TD since 2011.
16. Cowboys (15): How good was QB Dak Prescott in Sunday’s epic comeback, when he turned the primary participant to ever move for 400 yards whereas additionally speeding for 3 TDs? Suffice it to say even Skip Bayless was impressed.
17. Jaguars (26): James Robinson is off to pretty much as good a begin as any undrafted working again in reminiscence, racking up 210 whole yards in his first two video games after supplanting Leonard Fournette.
18. Colts (20): They proceed to cope with their very own rash of accidents however ought to quickly get wholesome in opposition to the Jets, whom QB Philip Rivers has overwhelmed 4 occasions in 5 regular-season matchups.
19. Bears (22): WR Allen Robinson looks like a strong dude, however why is a man who has caught eight of 18 targets for 107 yards making such a hubbub about his contract?
20. Falcons (17): A complete implosion is kinda, sorta, considerably comprehensible vs. Belichick and Brady. However Sunday’s meltdown in Dallas could be unforgivable. For context, per Elias, the earlier 440 groups to attain 39 factors whereas going turnover-free received – a miraculous stat Atlanta has now sullied.
21. Browns (30): You will not discover a higher tailback duo than Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt, who’re collectively averaging 6.2 yards per carry.
22. Texans (19): In case you thought Houston’s O-line had been tightened … welp. QB Deshaun Watson suffered a career-high 13 hits Sunday. That cannot occur.
23. Vikings (13): Merely put, they’re horrendous at nearly each stage … and now lose LB Anthony Barr (torn pec). You have been warned, Harrison Smith.
24. Broncos (16): They’ve caught unhealthy breaks on damage entrance. However QB Jeff Driskel is not any slouch and will maintain Denver aggressive whereas Drew Lock nurses his bum wing.
25. Dolphins (27): Earlier than a hue and cry emanates to play Tua, there (nonetheless) must be a hue and cry to repair this abject offensive line.
26. Bengals (28): And possibly there needs to be a hue and cry to bench Joe Burrow given the “safety” he is getting … in any other case, rook is off to a stellar particular person begin.
27. Washington (24): Looks like proprietor Dan Snyder is OK despite being quarantined. Possibly for everybody’s sake, he ought to take into account prolonged (everlasting?) isolation interval.
28. Lions (23): They merely can’t close, now the primary group in league historical past to lose 4 consecutive video games by which they’d held a double-digit lead.
29. Eagles (25):Rampant issues here, however focus will intensify on struggling QB Carson Wentz, whose string of video games with a minimum of one TD move ended at 20.
30. Panthers (29): Exhausting to reckon how rebuilding group recovers from extended loss of RB Christian McCaffrey, who generated almost 44% of the 2019 offense.
31. Giants (32): Regardless of disheartening loss of RB Saquon Barkley, New York continued to point out fairly a little bit of battle and almost left Chicago with a victory.
32. Jets (31): Regardless of going through San Francisco’s JV squad a lot of Sunday, New York confirmed scant battle in efficiency that ought to go away NYJ followers disheartened.
Comply with USA TODAY Sports activities’ Nate Davis on Twitter @ByNateDavis
In case you love speaking soccer, we now have the proper spot for you. Be part of our Fb Group, The Ruling Off the Subject, to have interaction in pleasant debate and dialog with fellow soccer followers and our NFL insiders. Do the correct factor, enroll now!